On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it's because it's easier for me to tell from the message if I *AM*
> interested in it, and because I can't tell that from just the subject line
> or who the sender is.

But mail readers don't force you to make that decision based only on
the subject line.  Every mail reader I've used has some way of going
from the *content* of one message directly to the *content* of the
the added benefit that one keystroke gets you to the start of the next
message, no matter how long or short the previous one was.

For example, in Gmail you can use j/k and n/p to move by messages or
threads, or in Outlook you can have the preview pane showing the
message content, and use the arrow keys to move from one message to
the next.