From: Larry Colen
Some friends stopped by when driving through town last night and we grabbed a bite at the local taqueria. I was showing them my 'best of' folder of prints and someone else there asked if I'd be interested in a job shooting an event, I think it was his parents 50th anniversary.

Assuming that the scheduling worked, I don't even know what order of magnitude to charge. If it's a 3 hour affair, that's easily 6 hours of work, so I could see people charging anywhere from $150 to $1200 for that.

I figure a $1000.00 DAY RATE; DAY = 8 hrs; $500.00 - HALF DAY = 4 hrs. Additional hours @ $125.00/hr beyond HALF DAY, until you get beyond 8 hrs, then you should be charging time & a half, but call it $185.00/hr ... unless you really want to discourage going overtime, then charge $200.00/hr.

Figure $150.00/hour for LESS than half a day. Three hours would be $450.00 ... they might opt for HALF DAY.

Charge according to how many hours you're going to be on site, actually in there shooting. The time you spend on post production comes out of your over-head.

Consider that an incentive to get it right in camera so you don't have to spend hours in post production.