On May 26, 2010, at 7:29 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Larry Colen
>> Some friends stopped by when driving through town last night and we grabbed
>> a bite at the local taqueria. I was showing them my 'best of' folder of
>> prints and someone else there asked if I'd be interested in a job shooting
>> an event, I think it was his parents 50th anniversary.
>> Assuming that the scheduling worked, I don't even know what order of
>> magnitude to charge.  If it's a 3 hour affair, that's easily 6 hours of
>> work, so I could see people charging anywhere from $150 to $1200 for that.
>
> I figure a $1000.00 DAY RATE; DAY = 8 hrs; $500.00 - HALF DAY = 4 hrs.
> Additional hours @ $125.00/hr beyond HALF DAY, until you get beyond 8 hrs,
> then you should be charging time & a half, but call it $185.00/hr ... unless
> you really want to discourage going overtime, then charge $200.00/hr.
>
> Figure $150.00/hour for LESS than half a day. Three hours would be $450.00
> ... they might opt for HALF DAY.
>
> Charge according to how many hours you're going to be on site, actually in
> there shooting. The time you spend on post production comes out of your
> over-head.
>
> Consider that an incentive to get it right in camera so you don't have to
> spend hours in post production.

If the clients are friends and you ask for that kind of money, they will cease
to be friends. If they're really good friends, I shoot their party for grins.
If they're somewhat distant friends, I charge them a few hundred bucks. If I
have to make money off my friends, I figure I'm pretty hard up.

Paul