On May 30, 2010, at 9:31 PM, William Robb wrote:

> [...]
>>> kind of tax that one has to pay for owning the vehicle (It is order of USD
>>> 250 for smaller cars and progressively more expensive for bigger cars). Add
>>> 2 bucks to the tax and averaging on 5 years of owning a car - you got your
>>> ten bucks. I reckon crying and moaning about the tax raise will be
>>> substantially bigger than the actual taxation and benefits thereof.
>>
>> Here in the US we have 50 years of legislation of mandated "safety"
>> equipment with cars. Some of it helps, some of it doesn't, and some of it
>> probably makes cars less safe.  For example the motorized seatbelts that
>> were popular a few years back. Every bit of it, however, adds cost,
>> complexity and weight to cars.
>>
>> We also seem to have a philosophic difference on wether people are
>> responsible for their own actions.
>>

> I read a report (back before the days of the internet) whose author had
> looked at accident statistics and had concluded that most of the safety
> features or technical advances built into automobiles had done precisely the
> opposite of what they were designed to do and had actually made cars less
> safe.
> Not because they didn't do what they were supposed to do, but because they
> made people feel safer, and hence more careless.
> At the time, ABS brakes were the hot new commodity and he predicted that
> accident rates would actually increase significantly as the technology
> matured.
> I don't know if this is true or not.
>
> As for the value of a human life, we set that value every day ourselves.
> Every person who has bought a life insurance policy has decided what a human
> life is worth.
> If we as individuals have a right to do that, why would we expect
> corporations to be any different?
> And why would we label them as inherently evil for doing what we do ourselves
> every time we cut a cheque to the insurance company for our premiums.
>
> Regarding safety equipment being mandated, I happen to agree that in
> countries that provide health care as part of the citizenship agreement,
> perhaps the government has a right to tell you to wear a helmet if you are on
> a motorcycle, or wear a seatbelt when you drive your car, presuming that
> these pieces of equipment do actually lessen the cost to society of repairing
> people damaged in car accidents.
>
> Now, should a government have the right to mandate baby alarms in cars? Sure,
> I'd agree that they do, providing it only applies to people who drive around
> with babies in their cars.
> In Canada, I have to wear a helmet if I choose to ride a motorcycle, but if I
> choose to not ride a motorcycle I don't have to wear a helmet.
> If I choose to not have a baby in my car, why should I be forced to buy a
> piece of equipment that will be of no use to me?
>
> There is also the less palatable argument that perhaps people who let their
> babies bake in a hot car are doing the world a favour by retroactively taking

Good arguments for the most part. However, your last point may not hold up in
light of the evidence. Children have been forgotten and lost by rocket
scientists, physicians, engineers and teachers as well as working class people.
In all, the demographics of those who have left a child behind are a pretty
close match to the population at large. Rather than a bad gene pool, the
incidents seem to be more the result of intense, distracted lifestyles. First
stop is the grocery store, then the dry cleaners, then the day care center,
then work. Oops, forgot the day care center.

I have no opinion or at least none that I care to espouse. I just try to lay
out the facts and quote the principal players, so that those who are much
smarter than me can decide what, if anything, should be done. However, the
issue has been evaded in some circles. It's worthy of discussion, and I'm
pleased to see how earnestly it has been debated here.

Paul