On 5/30/2010 5:13 PM, Bob W wrote:
[...]
out to be just too damn dumb, there will always be someone else
suffering the consequences with you or for you and this is exactly
where that kind of thinking becomes terminally selfish
cheers
ecke

in that case you're going to have to legislate to remove all possible
self-imposed risk from the world. You're going to have to make smoking
illegal, you're going to have to make sunbathing for longer than 30
minutes a day illegal, crossing the road while the green man is
flashing, walking the streets without wearing a helmet,...

Bob, it is not black/white scenario like you seem to be trying to paint it. I am thinking that "self-imposed" is the keyword here. If a state can protect you from somebody *else's* stupidity (because, pardon my bluntness, you're not omniscient or omnipotent) and do so for $10 per car or $10 per motorcycle, they might as well go on and do it.

Boris