On 01/06/2010 7:51 AM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
I have never had trouble with Thunderbird.  Our office has OE, and I
consider it far less flexible and quite a bit slower.  For important
things, I always use Thunderbird.

The things I'm having problems with is OE let me choose where my store folder was located, which allowed me to move it off the OS drive and onto my mirrored drive, which made me feel a bit safer about data loss. I don't think Thunderbird will allow that, and the location of it's store folder is rather inscrutable. And, as I just discovered, if I walk away from the computer with an email in mid composition, it will leave it open, but also drop it into the drafts folder. It doesn't give me the option of sending when I want to. OE would allow me to hit send on the message, and drop the message into the outbox where it would sit until I hit send on the program. Thunderbird just forces send. T-Bird on configuration defaulted to IMAP, and when I pointed it to my Google account tried to import everything in it (several gigs now), which caused it to stop running. After configuring it to POP, that went away, but I had to uninstall it and start again fresh, which was a minor PITA. There are just a lot of configurable things in OE that don't seem available in Thunderbird. OTOH, it spell checks inline and can be set to force spell check prior to sending, while OE had to be told to spell check, so there is some small good along with the inexplicably bad.

I guess I can't complain too much, it didn't cost me anything to download it, but after a week of using T-Bird I am really missing OE.

--

William Robb