On 2010-06-02 03:32 , AlunFoto wrote:
Besides, people use their computers for more purposes than just image
storage/processing, and a little understanding really goes a long way.

so might we expand László Moholy-Nagy's famous quote to say:

"The illiterate of the future will be ignorant of the use of the camera, computer and pen alike. "

Both with regards to file management, backup and online security. Many
users don't want to spend time learning how to use a computer; they
just want it to do what they imagine it can do for them. I guess Apple
marketing has been successful playing up to this dream, and thus
attract many users that just can't be bothered.

i think Apple attempts to address these needs with an "appliance" approach rather than "study the user manual, practice, stress about it and maybe you'll get it right"; i personally believe that simplicity is overrated, but i also see that Apple's (and Microsoft's, and others') attempts in these areas do actually help people; for example the fact that Time Machine kicks in automatically on Macs means that a lot of people who would be haphazard or completely negligent with backups are actually getting decent backups without much effort; i have read many testimonials that "Time Machine saved my butt"

any system like this is bound to mean annoyance, confusion or even trouble for some; i am having trouble finding the perfect stove for my home too, because many are too "automatic" or have a fifth burner i don't want; the simpler ones for some reason are more expensive

however Macs are extremely configurable for those who learn how; for example Time Machine may not be the best solution for photographers; among other reasons, those who use Lightroom or Aperture may wind up storing versions of databases that store versions, or users may already be exploiting backup features in these applications ... so photographers need to know how to configure Time Machine to avoid redundant redundancy, or how to choose an alternate backup scheme