OTOH, you can probably get started with clamp on lights from Home Depot or Lowes. I'd make sure I got the ones with ceramic sockets to handle higher wattage bulbs.

From: "Tanya Love"
Elinchrom or Bowens are the only way to go if you are serious.  That said,
I've been shooting Alien Bees for years now and love them.  They now have a
distributor in Australia which is even better, and you can get the same
features for half of the price of either of the aforementioned brands.
PLUS, they come in PINK!  Woohoo!

Tan.x.