From: "William Robb"
From: "Doug Franklin" Subject: Re: OT: Replacing cells in Battery Packs

> On 2010-06-12 14:27, John Sessoms wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason I can't replace that battery with a larger capacity
>> Gel Cell if I can find one that will fit inside the case? If a 6v 4ah
>> battery will fit in the case, could I safely use that in place of the
>> the 6v 2.5ah battery.
>>
>> No warranty issues, these are OLD power packs. But I'd prefer not to
>> burn up the circuitry.
>
> I don't know enough about gel cells versus NiCd cells to tell you for > sure. You certainly can redo the cells that way, but I'm guessing the > built in monitoring and charging circuitry may not be appropriate for gel > cels unless they charge and discharge pretty much identically to NiCds. > So you might have to disconnect or ignore the built in circuits and gin up > a separate charger that's appropriate for gels. OTOH, you might be able > to find higher capacity NiCds in the same form factor, and that's a > no-brainer switch out that I've done on numerous pieces of gear over the > years, but not a flash battery pack.

My old Metz 402 flash was equipped standard with a wet cell, and could use a NiCad pack. There was a switch on the thing for adapting the charging circuit from one to the other. When I went to a gelled acid battery, I also had to buy a separate charger to enable charging, as the 402 pack wouldn't charge the dry-fit battery, though it certainly did well using them. Anyway, I don't think John will have any problems with using gel cells, but he will probably need to make some nods to the charging circuit.

They're both sealed lead acid batteries. I'm just wondering if the charger built to work with the 2.5ah battery will blow up if I try to use a 4.5ah battery.