John Sessoms wrote:

From: mike wilson
My understanding is that "dry" (ie gel, glass mat and all the other sorts) lead-acid cells require greater currents for charging than the plain vanilla version. You may want to do some serious research before taking the plunge. FWIW it seems likely that the cells would not charge if the circuitry was inadequate, rather than some damage being done to the electronics.

Looking into it further, the existing battery is made up from 3-2V 2.5ah glass mat cells (sealed lead acid) series-ed together to make the 6V battery. They're the size of D-cell disposables, but have connection tabs on the top.

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/scpf.asp?routine=scpf

What you're saying is ... *IF* I substitute 3-2V 4.5ah cells it might not charge quite as efficiently, but the risk of actually damaging the charger is low?

And a gel cell is just a different way of sealing the electrolyte into the battery, i.e. gelled rather than glass mat. They're both sealed lead acid batteries and have similar charging characteristics.

Similar enough that the risk to the electronics is minimal?

I understand that if I try this and it doesn't work, *I* am the one who is screwing it up.

Again _my understanding_ is that, because of the construction, these types of batteries _require_ a higher current to initiate charging, so they wouldn't charge at all if an ordinary charger was used. At least, that's what the companies that produce chargers for them say.....

But all of my "knowledge" applies to batteries that are for motor vehicles and produce a lot more power than the ones you are using. They certainly could not be charged by wall warts. Generally, wall warts are such simple devices that they could indeed be damaged by an excessive current requirement although the low cost of replacement would not make this too much of a problem.