The police are there to keep the peace, deturing crime and actually solving crimes and catching perps is secondary and tertiary functions. In many cases the tertiary function is entirely forgotten, because keeping the peace is paramount. Though it there's a high speed chase involved with a possible risk of life and limb for to the officer and the general public there seems to be an exception..