I'm glad John got his bike back, and to that respect I consider it a
"happy ending", but is he going to be able to recover the accessories
that were stripped off?

He mentioned before that he'd paid by Visa, so maybe they can do something.
Otherwise it's the price of not having insurance.

MasterCard, actually (not that it matters much), but I have homeowner's insurance too. It just seemed cheaper and easier to go with the theft protection option than pay my deductable. Now, it only covers purchases for 90 days, so that means that only the bike and speedometer were covered, but yesterday I was able to cannibalize some parts from my old (broken) bike, and I also found some old-but-functional accessories (headlight, tire pump) in my storage closet amongst my college boxes. Assuming MasterCard replaces my speedometer (a really nice wireless Cat Eye Strada that was about $60), the only part I'll have to buy again myself was the rack that was on the rear end. It was a couple years old and I can't find the receipt, so I'm S.O.L. on that one. It wasn't cheap, but I keep telling myself it's better than buying everything else again.

Is he going to recover his peace of mind so he can get full use out of
his transportation?

Well, I'm going to start using two U-locks rather than my old system of one U-lock and one cable lock, and I'm not going to leave my bike out overnight ever again. It's impossible to make something theft-proof, but I'm going to make it as difficult for them as I can.

John

--
http://www.jacelio.com
http://www.cafepress.com/jacelio