On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> One thing that somewhat concerns me with the Dell 24" (and 27")
> monitors is that they only seem to support a 60Hz refresh rate
> at full resolution (or so the specs online suggest).
>
> I would have thought that might be a problem; I thought that
> European guidelines for monitors suggest 85Hz or higher for a
> workplace environment.  Personally I've had problems with 60Hz
> systems (and with fluorescent light fixtures) causing headaches.

Refresh rate is only an issue with CRT's as LCD's don't refresh the
screen per se, they just update the pixel when it should change and
it's constant otherwise. CRT's only briefly illuminate the pixels and
do so at the refresh rate (IE at 60Hz each pixel is illuminated 60
times a second).

The issue with LCD's and refresh rate is in how quickly the screen
will be updated. At a 60Hz refresh rate pixels will only be updated
every 60th of a second as teh computer is only sending the screen
updates 60 times a second, higher refresh rates allow quicker screen
updates which is an issue for gamers running at high fps rates.
There's essentially no reason to ever run an LCD at anything other
than 60Hz if you aren't running an application that requires high fps
rates.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca