On 3/8/10, John Francis, discombobulated, unleashed:

>That's probably from a Biggin Hill air show.  My memory tells me that
>as well as the Lanc & Hurricane there were also a couple of other
>Merlin engines in the formation - a Spitfire and a Mustang.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) had a Lancaster, a Spitfire
and a Hurricane displaying at Farnborough at various points the other
week. The TV news prog I was working for transmits at 6pm, and we did a
live segment into the show about 6.20 where the weatherman does a chat
and a bit of colour before they run a pre-recorded weather forecast. The
live chat was with the Vulcan pilot - just as the BBMF were in full
display above. We could hear them but not see them as the subject of the
live segment was the Vulcan and the pilot. While my shot was on the
pilot talking about his heroics in the sky, they ran underlay shots of
the Vulcan flying that I had done earlier in the day. I can't see this
of course, but I can hear the gallery in my earpiece: "...on
Ulay.......back on you...." We finished up and came off air.

Later when I got home I checked the recording on my domestic TV recorder
- I like to catch up sometimes with complicated lives etc - and watched
our live segment. The intro into the weatherman under the Vulcan wing
looked great, he chats about the Vulcan, mentions the noisy display
going on, we walked over to the pilot, chat, it cuts to a shot of a
Vulcan banking around filling the frame - lovely shot ;-) but they
didn't fade up the sound of the Vulcan, so as it banked around - the
accompanying sound was that live over the pilot's interview: a Lancaster
bomber - in perfect and harmonious sync with the Vulcan shot. It was
actually uncanny. I couldn't have gotten a better audio match to
pictures if I'd tried. There would have been one or two very confused
viewers there....

--

Cheers,
  Cotty