Thanks Bob

had another look at the shot - it was landscape (should probably have
been portrait as you suggest) and alas no more than a smidgeon left at
the botttom. When you say either side of the bolt - do you mean the
hasp of the padlock or the sliding horizontal part? I thought it was
pretty equal space on each side of the latter?

Boscastle is cute - we stayed at the Riverside Hotel which I recommend
- expect Boscastle was crowded being August and all?

Alastair