Adam Maas wrote:

I've priced this and you can almost always get a pre-built system
cheaper than a home-built system. It's been about a decade since
building your own was a good economic choice. The biggest reason to
build your own system is to get a specific parts selection, but you'll
pay at least 10% more that way. Used to build all my own stuff, now I
buy relatively barebones-spec HP's and upgrade RAM/HDD/Video and
sometimes CPU, saves me a fair bit over any other option.

Except... in my experience, the savings are usually made in things like power supplies or quality of memory chips, or cooling fans that quickly wear to sound like F16s. In fact, anything that the manufacturer can get away without specifying exactly. Not really savings at all.