On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Steven Desjardins <drd1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to point out, Pentax did release a cropped 645 sensor before the
> FF.  Part of me just sees Pentax stubbornly avoiding that one sensor.
>
> These sensor classes only make sense because we have all these
> established lenses around.  Notice that "cropped 645" is an
> interesting way of saying "not 645".  In many ways the the 645D is, to
> a neutral observer, a direct competitor to the high end Canikon
> offerings.  Bigger sensor, worse electronics (like AF).  I wonder how
> cheap a body Pentax could build around that sensor.  Anyone have an
> idea how much that sensor costs relative to a, say, 24.5 MP FF sensor?

The MF sensors cost anywhere from $500 to several thousand with
Pentax's current sensor somewhere in the middle. The Sony 24MP sensor
is significantly less than even the dirt cheap 16 and 22MP MF sensors.
That's what happens when you produce around ten times more of a sensor
every month than the entire MF sensor production for a year (the MF
digital market is around 4k units per year, the D3x alone is twice
that per month in sales).

-Adam