On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
> Indeed,
>
> Bill's actions are protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms,
> not the Constitution. Godfrey's are protected by the First Ammendment
> to the US Constitution, other list members' speech is protected (or
> not protected) by the laws of where they live.

Are they?  The list server is, I think (please slap me around if I'm
wrong), located in the US.  I'd like to think, and if it were up to me
they would, that anyone within the borders of the United States would
enjoy the same constitutional guarantees as a citizen.  "All men" and
"inalienable" are powerful words.  But since we're not all in the same
place, who's laws apply?  If the list server were located in Iran,
could our Iranian friend Doug Brewer be prosecuted for blasphemy when
some loudmouth atheist/Christian/Jew in some other part of the world
spouts off?

That's an interesting statement, Adam.  I'd be curious to know how
well our governments have worked this sort of thing out, but I'll
probably be disappointed by the answer.  If there is an answer.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/