Hi all,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that I'll be leaving tomorrow to go on a week-long excursion to Arkansas, whereupon I shall engage the tutelage of one Ted Beilby. Unfortunately, my finances will be severely limited, forcing me to subsist on hard tack and salt pork. Otherwise, I'd buy everyone shot glasses from the gift shop.

Any advice on preparation before I head out the door? I have an extremely crappy inherited tripod (Velbon Victory 451) which I'm tempted to take, but don't know if it'll be worth the baggage factor. I've used it on approximately, three shots since I got my K-x, but have never really found it useful for the types of photography I've done. Will it be worth my while to take it along on hikes given its relative shoddiness, or would I be just as well off shooting handheld with shake reduction?

I'll be packing my whopping total of four lenses, though I suspect I'll only get much use out of two of them -- 18-55 and 50-200 DA L kit lenses. The other two are my 70-300 Promaster 4/5.6 and Takumar 135 2.5. I don't know how useful either of them would be, but I'll have them just in case.

Any suggestions in addition to the guiding hand of Mr. Beilby will be much appreciated. I'll be heading out at 8:00 AM central time and don't know how much access to the list I'll have once I get there.

Thanks in advance for any quick tips you can offer before I leave!

-- Walt

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/waltergilbert
http://waltgilbert.posterous.com/ <http://polipix.posterous.com/>