On Nov 8, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

On Nov 8, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:

That noise right at the top is most telling to me.  At least I found
it the easiest to see scrolling up and down on my Mac,  My reaction:
the K5 shot is clearly better but the K7 shot is OK. I'm surprise the
difference is not more extreme, given what I've been reading.

Looking at the (fanfold paper?) under the cocacola clock, and the other objects on the counter really show the difference.

It's true: the K-7 is not horrible at 6400. I've said that before, and I've sot with it at that ISO. But the K-5 is close to noise free. Look also at the side of the freezer -- the white object to the far right -- and the ceiling tiles above. Note also the way the highlight in the mirror has pretty much burned out in the K-7 pic, but has a bit of tonality in the K-5 pic. This is very evident in a 100% look at the full-size image.

Granted Boris doesn't spend as much time shooting in light as represented by the upper right corner of the frame as I do, but that's where my interest lies. The results might be different if he was just shooting that corner of the room and exposed accordingly.

However, since I'm broke, I might as well not be able to afford a 645D as a K-5.