I probably wouldn't use an umbrella, but if I did, I'd use
shoot-through rather than bounce (personal preference mostly).  It'll
make the light bigger, but also eat a stop or two of your light.
Depending on how high that mezzanine is, the light won't be any softer
due to the distance.

A fresnel is going to focus the light rather than disperse it.  It'd
end up being like a Better Beamer.  If you want to spread out the
light, a large sheet hung up in front of the light will create a much
larger light source than an umbrella and a much softer light.  It's
hard to tell from your pictures, but if the ceiling is white, you
could try bouncing off the ceiling for very soft, even light, with one
light in the mezzanine for key, and maybe a flash on camera for a
little bit of fill.

With two lights, you could easily have them pointing toward the
opposite side of the floor against each other.  That way, the lights
will make key/fill based on where they are on the floor, and you can
keep them the same power.

The pictures in your link look pretty good to me, you seem to have a
pretty good handle so far.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com