On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:05:27AM -0500, Paul Stenquist wrote:
> As far as I know we don't have a rule or law -- other than the first
> amendment to the Constitution. -- that says you can take pictures of people
> in public. But we have court precedents. You don't need model releases for
> pictures or people taken in public unless they're used for profit in a
> promotion of some sort. The people who manage the Pentax Gallery seem to have
> a rather limited understanding of both legal requirements and the methodology
> of digital photography.

No - I think everybody here is misreading what the PPG rules actually say.

The rules don't take any position on whether a model release is required;
they say that obtaining any such release (should one be needed) is solely
the responsibility of the photographer, and that by submitting an image
the photographer consents to these conditions.

It's boilerplate, put in (no doubt) at the insistence of their lawyers.