As far as I know we don't have a rule or law -- other than the first amendment
to the Constitution. -- that says you can take pictures of people in public.
But we have court precedents. You don't need model releases for pictures or
people taken in public unless they're used for profit in a promotion of some
sort. The people who manage the Pentax Gallery seem to have a rather limited
understanding of both legal requirements and the methodology of digital
photography. In determining whether a pic is appropriate for submission, I
think it's best to let common sense prevail.
Paul