From: Walter Gilbert
    Thanks, David/Collin/Paul.

I think I understand, now.

I was thinking that since the snow was so glaringly bright that it would
throw the meter off irrespective of the actual subject -- assuming the
subject isn't the snow itself.

But, as I understand you all now, as long as there's a dark enough
counterpoint to the snow within the frame, the metering will average
out.  My question in that case is, does the ratio of dark to light
matter?  Say, if you have a snowy field and a small black dog in that
field, taking a photo of a distant grey object, is that enough to get
the correct averaging?  Or do I need to compensate for the dominance of
the snowy field within the frame?

In other words, does the meter average the difference between the
darkest and the brightest objects in the frame, or the total amount of
darkness and brightness in the frame?

Thanks again, y'all.  I do appreciate your patience.

If I remember correctly, you started this thread that you're shooting with a K1000?

The K1000 meter averages the entire frame. No additional weight is given to the center.

If the scene is mostly brighter than 18% gray, the meter recommendation will be under-exposed, you have to "over-expose" to compensate and get the correct exposure.

If the scene is mostly darker, the meter recommendation is over-exposed, and you have to "under-expose" to compensate.

Blue skies opposite the sun, sunlit grass and weathered asphalt paving are all reasonable approximations of 18% gray. If nothing else, fill the viewfinder with one of these and set your exposure, then re-frame the scene.

-----
No virus found in this message.