The exercise they had us do was to mount three 8x10 cards together - white+gray+black.

Then we had to photograph the three cards using reflected-light metering on the white, bracketing -2, -1, 0, +1, +2; ... on the gray, bracketing; ... on the black, bracketing.

All shots had to be produced in one session so that all the exposures were in the same light. Direct sunlight was specified for the first time out.

After processing the film, we had to produce a contact sheet printed to base+fog (so that you could just barely see the difference between black and the edge of the film).

From: Thibouille
Walter, about those metering and mid gray things. A simple but very
effective thing our teacher asked us: Take a pic of a white object
(like sheets of paper), a gray object and a black object. To stay
simple, the three objects will have about the same color (gray of
course). This is simple and clearly nails the problem. A built-in
meter (and any meter used in reflective metering), even how modern it
is, is always influenced by color and reflection power of the metered
object.