On Feb 11, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Luiz Felipe wrote:

> Larry, you and Paul got me thinking about a test with Yvon's AF target - just
> to make sure there is no micro shift made evident by the 1.4 aperture. I
> understand the 1.4 lenses got slightly worse results wide open than the 1.7,
> and my rather crude tests point in the same direction. If you get to test it,
> post the results, ok?

OK, here are the test photos I took, most of them I just cropped in very
tightly on the center of the frame:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157626026902326/
I did a couple of runs through, trying slightly different things.  These do not
include the photos taken with the teleconverter.

F/1.4  nearly full frame (just rotated slightly)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5436573823/
f/2.8 nearly full frame
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5437186466/

f/1.4  cropped in tight:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5436572699/

f/1.8 cropped in tight
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5437184414/

f/2.8 cropped in tight
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5436574987/

The last of test photos were done at 1/180 second, using the af540 on p-ttl
with a water bottle diffuser off camera to the right.

> Of course I'd still go for the slightly OOF pic, as opposed to the words
> describing the UFO.

What happens on the UFO, stays on the UFO.