In regard to paper, when printing 8 x 12 images or crops close to that size, I
print two on a sheet of 13 x 19 paper. I use only 13 x 19 paper, and simply cut
out the prints, if they're not sized to use the full sheet. Like Bob, I don't
always crop to a standard size. But for photos that are intended for sale, it's
much more economical to buy pre-cut mats than to have custom mats cut, so I
tend to plan ahead and shoot to a standard size.
Paul