I don't worry too much what other people do or say about what aspect
ratio a photograph ought to be.

- For my personal work, I shoot what I like and size the photos per my
own desires and aesthetic decisions.
- When I'm shooting for a client, I ask them what size and shape they
want the products to be. I produce that.

When I go to print, I like large borders. My usual printing size is
about 6x8 inches or so on 8.5x11 inch for standard prints. I also like
to do custom sized prints ... a "half sheet" 13x19 inch print (that's
9.5x13 inch) turns out to be a very nice size for more oblong
proportion images, an 11x11 inch print on 13x15 inch paper is another
one that looks nice. Etc.

When preparing an exhibition, it's important to consider whether
different sizings and proportions, mixed together, do the right thing.
Usually not, imo, so I work out what makes sense for the context of
the exhibition.

The art of presenting photographs is at least as complex and deep as
the art of making photographs.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com