Brendan MacRae wrote:

So today I'm having lunch with my 3 year old when he starts pointing out the widow and saying, "Daddy, there's an owl! An owl!" I asked him where he was looking and there just over a neighbors' fence was a raptor in a tree not 25 feet from where we were sitting. I asked him to keep still and I slowly got up and went to fetch the 400mm. Well, it was in the garage, and it's 30 degrees out and snowing. No matter.

I get the lens inside and realize that the temperature difference will fog the lens so after getting it mounted on the tripod I go fetch a hair dryer and from about 2 feet away on the low setting I defog the lens ....gently. Finally I can line up the shot.

Unfortunately, I have to shoot through glass but I'll take it. You almost never get to get this close to these birds. Not the sharpest image ever, but again, I'll take it.

http://www.primelensphoto.com/hawk/index.html

-Brendan
Oh its lovely even if he isn't too sharp. But if he here a shrap-sihinned hawk and it was soft, well....

ann