Go for it Mark.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Roberts
Sent: Saturday, 19 February 2011 3:04 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Photo Annual 2011 - your thoughts

Work continues apace on the 2011 book (and I'm bracing myself for the
inevitable last-week rush of submissions soon to come). What I'd like to get
input on at the moment is the notion of changing the charity the book
supports. We've had many problems with CureSearch in the past two years but
the straw that broke the camel's back as far as I'm concerned is the way
they totally dropped the ball regarding the exhibit in Chicago. They'd said
they would do a mailing to their major donors in Chicage and alert them to
the opening, etc. And they completely failed to follow through on any of it.
I know a lot of oncologists and pathologists who are familiar with
NCCF/CureSearch and whenever I mention the organization I get the same
reaction: a sigh and a rubbing of the temples as if an old, familiar
headache is coming back. CureSearch's is widely regarded as well-intentioned
but more than a little feckless.

In the past we've floated the idea of supporting a different cause every
year, but I feel strongly that it's much more advantageous to try to build a
working relationship that (one would hope) gets better and stronger every
year. I've been looking for an effort similar to CureSearch to support but
it's been difficult because I really wanted to find something with
international scope, given the international nature of the PDML. About two
weeks ago I found what I think is a good candidate. The Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute here in Boston
(http://www.dana-farber.org/) is highly respected in the field and their
"Jimmy Fund" pediatric cancer clinic is one of the best around.
They are starting a new program to be called "Pediatric Oncology Global
Outreach" intended to expand and improve pediatric cancer treatment
worldwide, particularly in developing nations.

This Monday past I had a meeting at Dana-Farber with Dr. Carlos
Rodriguez-Galindo, the oncologist who's heading this program. He described
their plans and where they stand now. He's very interested in getting our
support because they're really just getting started - we'd be getting in on
the ground floor with this effort. That has some disadvantages as far as
name recognition, but I think that being under the Dana-Farber umbrella will
make up for that to a significant degree.

Another advantage is that this organization is headquartered here in Boston,
about two miles from my house. They won't be able to ignore emails from me
like CureSearch because they know I can be right there in their faces at a
moment's notice. The link with Dana-Farber also gets instant cred around
these parts, which I hope will be beneficial when I start hitting the local
media about the 2011 book in a few weeks.

Any thoughts?

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com