From: Ann Sanfedele
Showing my age ( not that I haven't done that before), during the reign
of the typewriter that I grew up with there were no italics at all.
e.g. -

http://www.willdavis.org/TilmanUnderwoodPort1932Junior611468.jpg

Later - in the early 60's I used an IBM electric typewriter with a ball
head, and you could change typeface by changing the little balls
the type was on.   as I recall, we used underlining to indicate what
should be in italics if you were printing something in the newspaper, or
a magazine or a book.  And yes, you had to back up and type in the
underlines under the words.

ann

I learned on one like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/6cmsy2t

... or some similar late 50s vintage "standard" office typewriter.

I learned to type in the mid 60s while I was in high school. The typewriters we used in class had all the key-caps replaced with blanks so you couldn't look at the keyboard to figure out where the letters were.

You had to keep your eyes on the text on your copy stand. Nor could you look at the typescript to see if you were typing correctly.

If the teacher caught you looking at the page while you were typing she'd slap you up against the back of the head with a ruler. If you were looking at the keys, you'd get your hand smacked.

For practice at home, I had an old Remington that once belonged to my grandmother; one even older than your Underwood.

http://machinesoflovinggrace.com/large/Remington12.jpg

Typing on a computer is so much easier.

-----
No virus found in this message.