I too, was having trouble getting a decent B&W print from my Epson 1270.
After trying many different settings for glossy photo paper, I found that
setting the printer software on plain paper, but using Ilford Glossy
Galerie, the results are much better.  I think it's due to the fact that the
printer lays down less ink on the plain paper setting.

Bill