On Mar 11, 2011, at 4:07 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 11:12 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
>
>> Paul, did you also try some non-SDM lenses?
>>
>> Jack
>
> No. And I didn't try any screwdrive autofocus lenses in low light before
> installing the firmware either -- at least not that I can recall. So there's
> not much point in it now. However, I will at some point.

My only SDM lens is my 16-50, and that is just too slow for low light
photography.  With the 1.8 on the K-5 I was able to shoot at 1/15 - 1/25 second
at ISO 12,800 last night.  I got lazy and didn't even pull out the monopod.
With the 31/1.8 autofocus did a great job in optical, even with the focus
assist light turned off.  It was just too distracting for the dancers to leave
it on.  In live view autofocus was hit or miss. If it tried to zoom in on a
dark section, then everything was lost, if it tried to autofocus where there
was more light, then it did fine.

Bearing in mind that I was mostly taking pictures to try out the camera, before
I've even really had a chance to learn it, rather than trying to take great
photos,  here are some of my better shots from last night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157626253302714/

I hope that as I learn the camera, I'll be able to improve on it.