Possibly "near-term" as opposed to latent.

-- Walt

On 3/13/2011 11:40 AM, P. J. Alling wrote:
On 3/13/2011 5:25 AM, Bob W wrote:
On 3/13/2011 11:28 AM, Bob W wrote:
What is a short-term fatality? Is it anything to do with the approach
of
Easter?

May be it has to do with radiation sickness??? When the effect, such as
cancer or even mutations of the children of those affected by the
radiation are not immediate (as in 'short-term').

a fatality is a death. A short-term fatality is therefore a short-term
death. I've always been under the impression that death was one of those
long-term things.

It's a sloppily-written article that hasn't been well edited either.

I think the word they were looking for but failed utterly to find, was /immediate/ . But "immediate death" is such an awful phrase to use that well a* euphemism seemed to be called for and the author chose poorly...

*Yes, proper English would have called for "an euphemism", but that just sounds wrong to my ear.