I don't like where Lightroom puts the imports, so on the Mac I use
Image Capture to copy the raw pix of the camera into the place I want
them.  I assume there must be something equivalent on Windows.  Then I
get Lightroom to import them in-place.

As to how you organize your pictures into folders, that's something
that's shockingly personal and shouldn't be brought up at all, or
it'll develop into a  300-message PDML thread. -T