Hi all,

I've encountered a problem that I was hoping some of the more technologically experience among the group might be able to help me with. I'm in the process of trying to Frankenstein another couple of years out of my already ancient PC by upgrading the video card. I've already managed to max out the memory to 3GB and have added a 500 GB hard drive. Now, I just need to upgrade the video from the pathetic GeForce-2 32MB AGP card to the ATI Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB AGP card I recently picked up from eBay.

Everything I've been able to unearth says that the card ought to be compatible with my mother board, which Gigabyte nForce3 250 MCP AGP 8x. I have a 400-watt power supply, so I'm fairly certain I'm getting enough power to run the thing. Problem is, when I seat it into the AGP slot and connect it the VGA, the thing simply will not boot and there is no signal going to the monitor whatsoever, though there is power going to the card and the fan is clearly operating. I tried disabling the current drivers for the old card before installing it -- same result. I tried installing the legacy drivers for the Radeon beforehand, as well -- which somehow managed to disable my USB wireless adapter until I ran a system restore.

I've gone into the BIOS to see if there are any settings I might be able to change -- voltage, manually enabling AGP 8x, etc., but have been unable to find anything that would seem to be the problem.

Any ideas what may be my problem (aside from the fact that I'm using a PC with Win XP, which there's not much I can do about at the moment?

Thanks!

Walt