On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't 30fps be good enough for most things excluding fast-moving
> sports and so on?  I'm a vidiot so maybe I have this backward... -T

I think the rolling shutter is the bigger issue. In a rolling shutter
camera, the different pixel rows of the sensor are exposed at
different times, instead of the whole array being exposed
simultaneously. This can lead to distortion of moving objects, or of
the whole scene due to camera motion. Here's a video I recorded in my
car using a handheld Kodak Zi8 compact video camera:

http://vimeo.com/14142141

Due to the rolling shutter(*), camera motion due to bumps in the road
leads to a vertical stretching or compression of the scene, like it
was printed on rubber. It's pretty obvious in the overhead signs
around 35-45 seconds, and in the car in front at around 1:10.

(*) I typed "shitter" at first, which also seems appropriate.