> Subject: Re: DOF with close up lenses
>

> Yes - Shaw's "Closeups in Nature" is definitely worth the read, so too is
> the Kodak workshop series book on close up. photography. The
> Kodak book has
> more of the formulae than Shaw's, but you almost need both of
> them to get a
> complete picture.
>
> Shaw has changed his mind on some points in later books - he now
> advocates
> using a 200mm macro vs the 100mm he recommended in the earlier book,

The choice of 50,100,or 200 for macro is the same as non-macro, it depends
on what angle of view you want. I cant imagine shooting macro only
at 200 as it compresses "normal" perspective too much.

> TTL
> flash vs manual flash,

manual flash using an incidence flash meter is
better than ttl IMHO, except where it is impossible
to know correct exposure compensation in severe
magnification shots.

> and zooms for general work vs primes.
Both zooms and primes have their advantages and
disadvantages. Neither one is always the best way to go.