From: Ann Sanfedele

Grete Waitz  died today, awfully young... 57.
 She won the New York  City Marathon 9 times.
I got these two shots in 1980 - that year was her 3rd win and the second
time she broke a world record.

http://annsan.smugmug.com/On-the-Road-or-On-Foot/New-York-City-back-in-the-day/5908739_3pLhP/1/1257776747_SB5Pz6K/Large

http://annsan.smugmug.com/Talented-People/Talented-People-BW-photos/3605515_N6r2N/1/1257775383_97WxSPX/Large

A few years ago I sold the silver gel print of the second of these on
ebay.. it was purchased , as it happens, by a friend of hers
who gave it to her as a present.  I was mighty pleased about that.

Wish I'd gotten sharper shots - what is interesting to me in the second
one is - who is that guy with the very high number
bsting her by a few feet in that shot?  I think at some point I tried to
find out if it was someone who later became something
of a star but now don't remember what I learned , if anything.

Ain't that the way it always goes?

Can't "remember what I learned, if anything".

Story of my life.

Shame about Ms Waitz. There was another famous runner, I think his name was Jim Fixx, who dropped dead of a heart attack at a very young age.

Someone made a comment at the time that he was born with a weak heart and that the fitness from running probably kept him from having that heart attack sooner.

I dunno.

I like the photos.