On Apr 24, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Bob W wrote:

> it all looks rather post-apocalyptic.

That's how I felt about it.  The sound of blinds batting around in the breeze
brought it home.  Being a holiday weekend the Civil Defence and demolition
workers were away and the only people about were police and army personnel
keeping an eye on the cordons.  The normally bustling city was silent.

It's quite surreal to see buildings that look OK at first glance but then you
see there's something not quite right.  One fairly big one I saw is on a slight
lean, another couple I noticed looked as if they'd twisted.  We saw a number of
empty lots and piles of rubble from demolished or collapsed buildings.  And as
you can see from the photos, there are many more that will need to come down.

I'm trying not to get sentimental about it because we have to pick up and move
on.  It's the heritage buildings I'll miss the most.  Some may be rebuilt but
only if it can be done safely.

Dave