On 18/5/11, Boris Liberman, discombobulated, unleashed:

>And I totally agree with your sentiment that focus by wire is simply
>different mechanical realization of the same electronic switch (such as
>rocker switch)... I believe it may be possible to make it "closer" to
>the good olde mechanical focus ring, but it would probably be way out of
>the target domain, so to say.

I think what it boils down to is that you can't please all of the people
all of the time. Clearly most people shoot using AF these days and it's
too expensive to make lenses fully manual with an automatic override. So
they made an automatic lens with a manual override that is nothing like
a true manual lens. Deal breaker for me sadly.

But hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice :)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__