On 5/18/2011 14:55, Cotty wrote:
I think what it boils down to is that you can't please all of the people
all of the time. Clearly most people shoot using AF these days and it's
too expensive to make lenses fully manual with an automatic override. So
they made an automatic lens with a manual override that is nothing like
a true manual lens. Deal breaker for me sadly.

But hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice :)

I payest my money and I takest my choiceses :-).

Seriously however it is not that bad in my case. And most of the time this lens is mounted on Galia's camera where it is being used in AF mode anyway.

My understanding here is that in this specific case the idea is to augment AF with ability to do minimal manual touch up if necessary. With clamp engaged D FA 50/2.8 macro is quite manual, thank you so much :-).

As for X100, it is a bit disappointing really, because they went to so long a length with the hybrid viewfinder but they did not pair it with "proper" MF simulation. Yet having taken out the funny face detection AF mode they clearly had wider target audience in mind.

Boris