On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> first of all the "camera connector" is an awkward little dongle, but it is
> only $30 over here, and it includes a USB port, into which you can plug an
> SDXC reader or various other things; however if the SDXC card is formatted
> as exFAT, iPad can't read it (yet); it can, however, do PTP with a camera
> that has an SDXC card in it (i'm curious what devices are people using SDXC
> with where they actually get a clear speed advantage?)
>
> also the iPad multitasks, but not in a freewheeling way; what it does have
> for photographers is a very nice display and "easy" photo software; easy
> isn't for everyone, i know (it irks me to no end)

Apple's provided free software is useful but minimal in its capabilities.
There are about 4000 photography apps available for the iPad, you
don't have to be limited to just what Apple provides.

Photosmith, Photopad and Photogene apps do a very nice job dealing
with new captures. Photosmith is a image management tool that
collaborates with Lightroom ... still immature and some bugs ... The
other two are pretty good editors right on the iPad. FolioBook is a
very nice iPad portfolio and display app.

I've been on the road for three weeks and using the iPad quite
heavily. It's much more capable than I thought at first. No
replacement for my laptop (which I also have with me) but in a pinch I
could run with only it.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com