On 6/2/2011 18:36, Paul Stenquist wrote:
It's a neat toy, but I'm not interested. I have no problem figuring
out where I am when I take a photo. And if I ever do need that
information, the nav system on my phone can provide it. Paul

I played a bit with idea of geotagging. Obviously, like you say, Paul, there are reasonably good programs for cell phones (Android and IOS alike) that do just that - record your coordinates ever so often in a file that can be later cross-referenced with the time the photograph was taken for producing a reasonably accurate geo-coordinates for the image.

But then I looked at it from few steps back and realized that I really don't need it. Specifically, say I went to NYC early last year. Took some pictures in the Central Park and met AnnSan which whom we had a very nice walk around the town. Is it really that much important to know precisely (with GPS precision) where I walked? Unlikely.

If I were a nature photographer or a survey photographer then may be it would have been really important - to mark the places where I met that specific animal or where I saw that specific tree. But for my practical (emphasis on practical) purposes, geotagging is more like a geek's toy and not a real photographic tool.

Just my personal view, not judging anyone and not projecting my view onto others.

Boris