On 03/06/2011 8:37 AM, Mat Maessen wrote:
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM, William Robb
<anotherdrunken...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Apparently, if you have an iPhone, it it almost constantly recording it's
whereabouts (and generally it's owner's whereabouts) on an almost continuous
basis.

Every smartphone that has a GPS in it does this. It's how the
applications on the phone know where you are.

It's the recording it to a database that I find unsavoury.

My understanding is that it also sends this information back to Apple
periodically.

Incorrect.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20057815-266.html?tag=topImage1
"Last week, researchers discovered that the iPhone has been logging and storing location information on users for the past year. The information is stored in an unencrypted file on the iPhone and also is backed up in an unencrypted form on computers running iTunes. The data is also sent to Apple."

They may have "fixed" it now that they've been caught.

--

William Robb