Daniel J. Matyola wrote:

If they aren't required to use the bike lanes in New York, they should
be.  The traffic, especially in Manhattan, is buy and hazardous, and
the conflict between bikes, pedestrians, cars, taxis, buses and trucks
can be severe.

Dan
Great video here about a guy's response to being ticketed for not cycling in
the bike lane:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ>

Ironically he shouldn't have been ticketed, because it's not a legal
requirement to use them.

It is or will soon be... if there is a bike lane and it isn't blocked.. The guy that did the video likes the bike lanes he was just pointing out that the bike lanes were often blocked by trucks unloading, people standing in them, etc. (I heard him interviewed on local news station a couple of times) The bike lanes have helped on major streets but not all streets have them so, of course, if there is no lane a bike can still ride on it - but must obey the one way directions, stop signs,
speed limit - etc that cars do.  That isn't happening all the time.

The other day a father with is toddler on the bike with him was going the wrong way on my street and when I was crossing , having looked in the dirction the traffic comes from legally, he shouted "watch out" I called back "you're going the wrong way" and he TURNS and shouts back "but
I called "watch out" (!)

Every time I go out I see bikers going the wrong way in a bike lane, riding on the sidewalk, not riding in the lanes when they are clear, speeding, not stopping at lights... and they aren't getting ticketed for that often enough. Mostly it has been a great help to pedestrian safety, tho. .. especially the parked cars not being right on the curb

ann