Scott Loveless wrote:

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM, John Coyle <jco...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
We have bike lanes in Brisbane too, often, sensibly, between the parking lane
and the
traffic lanes.

Like this?
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RTTN7a8MM_Y6qZwvxy4PD7E9gr-o3kOAFcuAuy7-Ync?feat=directlink>
It's called a door zone and it's dangerous.  Here's why:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_zone

I refuse to ride in door zones, giving myself at least 4 or 5 feet
between me and parked cars.  If that means I'm in your way, too bad.
Your being late takes a back seat to my safety.

That photo in the first link is a new cycle lane, put there within the
last few months.  Were I to ride on that road I'd be to the left of
the bike lane.  The truth, however, is that particular road carries a
tremendous amount of traffic.  During rush hour, it's nearly a parking
lot.  When that photo was taken cars were traveling at nearly 30mph.
Throw in cell phone texting soccer moms trying to parallel park, and
it's probably one of those most dangerous roads around here for
cyclists.  The League of American Bicyclists put their seal of
approval on it.  Go figure.

Geez that does look dangerous! ... here it is traffic, parking (and waiting to cross) , bike lane, sidewalk. Maybe I should do a vid of second ave. In my neighborhood I've seen people on -moving bikes- texting! ..
ann