From: "Brian Walters"
G'day all

For several months one of my external hard drives has been acting a bit
'flaky'.

The drive is permanently attached to the PC but when the computer boots
there is no sign of the drive in Windows Explorer.  However, after about
10-15 minutes, the autoplay window magically appears and the operating
system reads the drive, which then becomes available.  The drive
continues to work properly thereafter - until the next boot when the
process starts over again.

My question is whether the hard disk itself is on the way to hard disk
hell or whether the drive controller is likely to be the culprit.  Or
could it be a faulty USB cable? Would it be worth extracting the drive
from its case and try installing it in a new case? The drive is about
three and a half years old.

Note that I'm not relying on this drive as a primary back up any more,
but it is convenient if it keeps working.  And I'm just curious as to
why the drive would be behaving like this.

Is this perchance a Western Digital MyBook external drive?

-----
No virus found in this message.