On 2011-07-05 19:55 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
[...] I pulled the two 1T drives out, put them into quality
enclosures (Other World Computing Mercury Elite Pro quad interface)
after the WD enclosure died and have been running them for the past
three years this way. Same for the clients' MyBooks.

The drives are likely all right, it's the enclosure that sucks. Almost
like Sigma lenses ... ]'-)

often enough with such things it's the power supply that goes bad; i have had a power supply go bad with an Other World Computing two-drive RAID case as well; it was easy enough to replace the power supply (maybe it could be done with Brian's WD drive?) and OWC admitted they'd had a batch of power supplies that were unreliable but still made me pay for the replacement; the same RAID case also has a flaky fan that needs help to get going on the few occasions i power it down