On 2011-08-04 08:04 , Darren Addy wrote:
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM, John Francis<jo...@panix.com>  wrote:
An Eye1 doesn't exactly qualify as "cheap", though.

I suppose that "cheap" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't
think that $115 is bad:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-i1Display-Calibrator-Laptop-Displays/dp/B000JLO31M/
Less expensive than the Spider 3 Pro (with similar 4 star customer reviews).

hmmm ... this appears to be a 10-year-old product that is now discontinued and may have problems with current Windows or Mac systems; many of the good reviews are from a few years ago; no wonder it's cheaper

Spider 3 Express gets similar 4 star reviews for $66 at the budget end.

For similar reviews I like to breakdown the star ratings to get a
better picture.

i use the reviews on Amazon a lot, but to help avoid being misled i think you have to actually read a good number of them, note when the reviews were posted, look at comments on the "glowing" or "most helpful" reviews, and sometimes check the reviewer's other reviews; personally i don't trust the raw star statistics -- often the curve is an inverted bell, with fours, fives, and a cluster of one-star reviews; for the product above the one-stars are where one learns it is discontinued, but often one-stars are whiners who didn't like how something was packaged, had a bad experience with an Amazon partner, or something like that; fives are sometimes useful, and sometimes starry-eyed geek-wannabees or shills; it's the twos, threes and fours from which i often learn the most, and if there are lots of ones but few twos or threes (or none at all), i don't trust the entire spread